The purpose of Sherwood Hills Christian School (SHCS) is to provide a solid Christian education in a nurturing environment, directed by professional, godly educators. Our staff serves as role models to facilitate academic, physical, social, emotional and spiritual growth. Our desire is to educate each student in all areas of academic achievement, and to fulfil the biblical admonition found in Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
Sherwood Hills Christian School assists parents in fulfilling their Biblical responsibilities for their children. The home, church and school form a tripod of influence in the child’s life. It is imperative that these three are in harmony. Christian parents enrol their children for the purpose of reinforcing the teaching of the home and church. The salvation and discipleship of each child are key objectives of the school.
SHERWOOD HILLS CHRISTIAN SCHOOL MINISTERS TO THE WHOLE CHILD
Spiritually: Recognising that God’s Word is the foundation for all of life, SHCS seeks to lead children into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Daily Bible readings and emphasis on practical Christian living provide a strong spiritual framework.
Academically: SHCS strives for academic excellence. Standardised achievement tests show SHCS students score above the national average in all academic areas.
Emotionally: Dedicated teachers who are interested in the needs of their students help the child grow with a sense of security and self-worth. The stability provided by the spiritual aspect helps students maturely meet the challenges of learning and living.
Socially: How students relate to each other and to their parents and teachers is an important emphasis at SHCS. Christian ethics not only encourages personal spiritual growth, but wholesome social growth as well.
Physically: SHCS understands the physical needs of the child. They work with the parent to help the child mature: to be healthy and strong.
Our goals include the following to assist students in:
- Establishing a personal relationship with Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ
- Acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to understand and express ideas through words, numbers and other symbols
- Developing a sense of self worth
- Developing a sense of personal responsibility in society
- Acquiring skills, knowledge and attitudes that will lead to satisfaction and productivity in the world of work
- Developing resourcefulness, adaptability, creative learning and living
- Developing physical fitness and good health
- Gaining satisfaction from participating with others in various forms of artistic expression
- Developing an understanding of the role of the individual within the family and the role of the family within the society
- Developing respect for the environment and a commitment to the wise use of resources
- Acquiring skills that contribute to self-reliance in solving practical problems in every day life
- Developing esteem for the customs, cultures, and beliefs of a wide variety of societal groups
- Developing values related to personal, ethical or religious beliefs and to the common welfare of society
- Developing an appreciation for the application of the processes of learning.